The following books provide a solid knowledge base on academic teaming. The Power of Student Teams: Achieving Social, Emotional, and Cognitive Learning in Every Classroom Through Academic Teaming (Toth & Sousa, 2019) details the science behind academic teaming, presents the theoretical framework, and includes experiences from educators who are implementing academic teaming. Student Teaming: You Got This! (Croll & Senn, 2018) is a troubleshooting guide with practical advice for teachers already using academic teaming. Who Moved My Standards? Joyful Teaching in an Age of Change (Toth, 2016) outlines why we need to transform core instruction and what a new economy classroom environment looks like. The SOAR Quick Reference Guide (Toth, 2016) provides a detailed rubric to distinguish traditional classrooms, groups, and teams.
The Power of Student Teams
Achieving Social, Emotional, and Cognitive Learning in Every Classroom Through Academic Teaming
Michael D. Toth, David A. Sousa
Authors Michael D. Toth and David A. Sousa present a new pedagogical model called student-led academic teaming, the most effective way to achieve true social, emotional, and cognitive learning (SECL). This book includes a groundbreaking 10,000-student research study on a large urban district where teaming raised achievement across the board, and narrowed achievement gaps for African-American students, English Language Learners, and students with special needs.
- Appendix A: Crosswalk for Casel´s SEL competencies and academic teaming
- Appendix B: Crosswalk for Harvard´s SEL skills and academic teaming
- Appendix C: Key 21st-century skills
- Appendix D: Crosswalk for growth mindset and academic teaming
- Appendix E: Crosswalk for equity principles and academic teaming
- Appendix F: Crosswalk for the five strategies of formative assessment to academic teaming
- Appendix G: Crosswalk for the seven strategies of assessment for learning to academic teaming
- Appendix H: Crosswalk for old and new economy skills and Bloom´s taxonomy
- Table 1.1: Continuum of Core Instruction
- Table 1.2: The Three models of core instruction
- Table 1.3: Roles, dynamics, and percentages of direct instruction shift as learning moves from direct to student-led academic teams
- Table 2.1: Productive struggle
- Table 5.1: Old Economy Vs. New Economy Classroom
Student Teaming: You Got This!
A Teacher’s Survival Guide
Your on-the-spot survival guide for student teaming. Mark it up and fill it with sticky notes on the sections relevant to your lesson, your day, or your hour.
Who Moved My Standards?
Joyful Teaching in an Age of Change: A Soaring Tale
Inspire educators to tackle rigorous new standards. This engaging story will help educators and learners soar higher and farther than they ever imagined.
SOAR Quick Reference Guide
Based on Michael D. Toth’s book, Who Moved My Standards? Joyful Teaching in an Age of Change, this guide gives teachers easy access to the SOAR Rubric with corresponding student evidences, empowering them to shift to real-world applied classrooms.